Thursday, April 26, 2012

About Sugar Substitutes and other ingredients....

When I first developed some of these recipes on this blog, I was still using Splenda and other artificial sweeteners. Over the past few years and after researching the use of some of these, I decided that a little REAL natural sweetener is better than a lot of the artificial kind. So I reworked a lot of my more popular recipes (mainly the muffins and my nsa applesauce) using honey, agava nectar and other natural sugars. Most of the reworked recipes are included in my cookbook along with the sugar free versions for those still wanting to go that route. Most of these substitutions are straight up (i.e. 1/2 c. Splenda would now be 1/2 c. agava nectar) If using honey, I sometimes use slightly less of that than since honey is sweeter.


Also the use of sea salt and healthy fats like coconut oil, flaxseed meal, and olive oil is also now an option that I have been incorporating into my recipes too. Especially good is adding about a Tablespoon of olive oil to the Basil Tomatoes and Mushroom Italiano recipes just before baking. Don't be afraid to use a little of these healthy fats. They ARE a necessity for better health!


Another ingredient I am experimenting with adding to some of my recipes (most notably the muffins) is a high quality Whey Protein Powder. I wanted to boost the protein content  in these to make them a more complete meal and think this is a good way to go. I will update you when I have gotten some results!


I have also posted more recipes on my Facebook page Berger Bites for Healthy Appetites.
along with some pictures of some of the recipes in process and after they are cooked.


Feel free to leave comments and if you try some of the recipes, let me know how they turned out for you!


Thanks and Happy Cooking!





No comments:

Post a Comment